Monday, February 14, 2011

A Napa Fairytale: Our First Dance

I was a little hesitant about our first dance for a while. Once we both decided on the song (he loves country and I'm a pop girl, it was an easy choice) I wasn't sure if we should go the choreographed route, or if we should just embrace our moment and let it be whatever it would be. As a professional dancer, I felt pressure for it to be really awesome. Would our guests be expecting a full-out performance?


We always brought up the idea of taking a few lessons together, and Mr. Barrettes was totally game for private lessons, but it always fell to the bottom of our to-do list and still one week until the wedding, we hadn't tackled it. I realized the only one putting pressure on the situation was me. Our friends and family loved us, most had seen me on stage for years, they knew what I was capable of and I didn't need to impress anyone. It wasn't an audition, it was our wedding.




So we never practiced, we never had a rehearsal-- when the music started playing, he just grabbed my hand, pulled me into him and led me in the sweetest dance ever. It wasn't about our audience, it was about us. It was super cute and I was lost in the moment.


This song quickly became the theme of our wedding and later some of our guests would call it the "Napa Fairytale", hence my recap title. Being in Napa, everyone felt the harvest love and I honestly felt like our wedding was a fairytale. My winery wedding dream come true.

My groom was so sweet and finished the song with a dip. I didn't even have to prep him, he just knew!

I'm happy we went with a sweet and easy song that wasn't so obscure our guests wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Most of my cousins were singing along and it was so nice to be twirling around and seeing everyone else feeling the love as much as we were.

We also have a Randy Travis song that's "ours". I've included it just in case someone else needs ideas for a sweet country song!


Did you wing you first dance? How did it go with no prior practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment here, or head over to Weddingbee.com to add to the discussion there!