Monday, January 31, 2011

A Napa Fairytale: Here Comes the Bride

Everyone was gone, the attention was elsewhere, and I was by myself looking over the scene. My vision was blurred by the veil and I could feel my breath quicken. The string music was easy on my ears and the murmur of the crowd made my pulse race. I whispered to no one, "This is so fun."


I waited until I saw Darlene give me the nod, my dad stepping into place. The strings began to play that familiar refrain-- this time for me.


I started walking, no, not walking, rushing. I had a lot of ground to cover before I reached the arm of my dad. My train was catching on the wood, I could hear it rip. I didn't care, I didn't stop to pick it up. Crap, my heel is falling between the wood planks. Omigod I'm taking too long! The strings have to start over! I reached the end of the mezzanine, Darlene told me to breathe.


Air rushed into my lungs as I met my dad's gaze. There were no tears. I thought there would be tears. In their place was an ache in my cheeks. A big, toothy, gummy smile. I took his arm. He said, "slow down, slow down, let's take it easy." I felt like I went from 60-0. Everything came into focus. My breathing slowed and I made a conscious effort to take everything in. Oh wait, we have to walk down steps. Shit, I can't see. I lifted my veil just enough to see past my feet. Where are the flower petals? Forget about the flower petals, girl, look, here are all the people you love, in one beautiful space!


We stop walking, the veil is lifted, my dad is kissing me and Mr. Barrettes is taking my hand. Then the tears-- cue the tears.

(photos by Luke Snyder Studio)

Although we had our first look an hour earlier, seeing eachother at the end of the aisle was still a remarkable moment. My dad joined our hands and we faced eachother as Rev. Houtz began his welcome.

First look ladies, how was your "aisle moment" with your beloved? Different than the first look?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment here, or head over to Weddingbee.com to add to the discussion there!