Monday, February 7, 2011

A Napa Fairytale: Ceremony, Part 1 of 2

It's hard to remember how the ceremony began. The moments happen so quickly-- I'm walking down the aisle, kissing my dad, then I'm holding Mr. Barrettes' hands and standing in front of Dr. Houtz. The guests gathered to witness us tie the knot fade into a beautiful background and I'm absorbed into the moment. My eyes dart back and forth between my groom's and the reverend's and I'm just trying to remember to breathe. The thrill is beyond.


I could see the excitement in my grooms eyes and I just loved standing there, holding hands, staring at eachother in front of our friends and family. I could have stood there all night. 3 1/2 inch heels? Forget about it! I couldn't feel anything but our hands touching and my heart racing.


Dr. Houtz welcomed everyone and began with a Statement on the Gift of Marriage, as outlined in the Presbyterian wedding ceremony. He followed with the Declarations of Intent of me and my groom:

B and R, understanding that God has created, ordered, and blessed the covenant of marriage, do you affirm your desire and intention to enter this covenant? We did.


Then he asked our parents and my grandparents to stand, and followed with the Affirmation of the Families:

Bride parents, Groom parents, and Bride grandparents, do you give your blessing to B and R, and promise to do everything in your power to uphold them in their marriage? They did.


Finally, he asked our audience, with the Affirmation of the Guests:

Will all of you witnessing these vows do everything in your power to uphold B and R in their marriage? They did.

 

My new sister-in-law then stepped forward and delivered two readings. I was so pleasantly surprised at how well she read them, considering her nerves-- nice and slow, clear and with strength. She paused in all the right spots, letting the words sink into the moment. She read an excerpt from Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet, and from the Bible, 1 Corinthians 13.


We returned to face each other and Dr. Houtz began his sermon. He started with a reference to the time I lost (and miraculously found) my engagement ring in Union Square and then continued with the loving and heartfelt words only he could deliver.

(photos by Luke Snyder Studio)

It was around this time that the lapel microphone gave out and the best man had to step in with a handheld. He quickly realized that Dr. Houtz was not a man to need a mic as he delivered the rest of his sermon with the familiar and booming voice from my childhood.

As his words washed over me, I could feel the giant glow of love around us as everyone's attention was absorbed into his message. I breathed deep and enjoyed the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment here, or head over to Weddingbee.com to add to the discussion there!