Monday, December 20, 2010

A Napa Fairytale: Arriving in Napa

  
  Mr. Barrettes and I arrived in Napa on October 8th to the most gorgeous weather (which everyone commented on throughout the weekend, as if I specially planned it). We quickly checked into our first hotel and scurried up Rt. 29 to meet my parents, godparents, and MOH and partner at V. Sattui to whet our appetite for the weekend and jump into some tastings.


We took a seat around the corner and received a complimentary tasting because when people find out you're getting married over the weekend, they just throw free wine at you! We were in full-on wedding mode and just tasted our favorite wines, which we would be presenting at the wedding. Getting the thumbs up from our other party members on our wine selection, we were feeling pretty satisfied with our palettes and couldn't wait to share our tastes with our guests.



mmm...Gamay Rouge...


While most of the wineries end their tastings at 5pm, we have a favorite spot that keeps pouring until 6pm, Peju. Four of us headed over there for some good ol' fashion fun, courtesy of our favorite wine pourer, Richie. He pours generously in the back room and always keeps the joint hoppin'. You may have to wait a tick, but if you are there, ask for him specifically!


At Peju is my favorite sign, which I make nearly everyone pose with. It is a plank of french oak from a barrel painted with the words "In Vino Veritas - In Wine Is Truth". This quickly became my mantra for the weekend. There was almost a tattoo, but much to my mom's relief we just didn't have time for that-- there will be one in the future.


Towards the end of the tasting, things got a little saucy. A handful of British couples were in our group and once they found out we were to be married, all hell broke loose. There was storytelling, unsolicited advice, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Barrettes got his butt pinched by some old ladies.

For dinner we headed to Villa Romano, a cozy italian restaurant with just. perfect. food. We were joined by my parents and godparents for a lovely before-the-storm feast.



With full bellies, we all headed to our hotels to rest up for the big rehearsal day. Mr. Barrettes had a 8:30am tee time and while I thought I was in for a relaxing morning, I quickly realized that I had NO menus or wine lists for our wedding. What?! How does that even happen with a 2 year engagement? That needed to be taken care of pronto in the a.m.
As I drifted off into a cabernet slumber, I had no idea what whirlwind I was in for when I awoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment here, or head over to Weddingbee.com to add to the discussion there!