Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lessons on Lashes

I have worn eyelashes almost every day for the past 2 years. Every night, in my dressing room, I'd whip out the lash glue, and apply a full strip (usually my trusty ol' Mac 5's).


When I needed a smaller lash, or just a pop, I'd apply Ardells or other drug store brands. Lashes are awesome and they do wonders for your face.


So as I sit back and look at pictures from our wedding, I can't help but think to myself, "Why aren't you wearing lashes?"

It never occurred to me so plainly that I just didn't think they were up for it. Have you ever gotten sweat in your eye when you had eye makeup on? Know what happens when you wipe your eye? Mascara and liner  failure. I think I must have subconsciously remembered previous experiences. When the glue from your falsies gets wet, the eyelash comes off. Sometimes just a corner pops up. You have to take 5 minutes to either jimmy it back into place, or do the darn thing all over again.

"Use more glue", you say. Use too much glue to apply and you have a sloppy mess.

Lash glueing is an art. Either you got it, or you don't. I usually got it, but on my wedding day I didn't feel like testing the system.

Can you imagine my emotional craziness and propensity to tears-- mixed with false eyelashes? Sounds like a recipe for a small bridal meltdown.  I remember talking with John about perhaps applying singlets on the outer corners, but then dismissing the idea for fear of teary eye. Imagine how pretty those photos would have turned out with our happy faces and me with a melting lash. Que horror!

So when I go to scold myself in the future over not wearing lashes on our wedding day, I'll try to remember that I was averting a small makeup predicament. Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume, in waterproof, did the trick.

But for you controlled criers out there, a few tips:

1. Practice, practice, practice. Don't use your wedding day as the first day you try lashes. If you do decide to do this, be warned.

2. Don't use as much glue as you would think. A thin coat does the job. If you need more hold let that thin coat dry a little and apply a 2nd coat on top of it.

3. Let the glue dry on the lash a little before you apply. I blow on mine. You want the glue tacky, not wet. Also, I've found the black glue to work better than the white stuff.

4. Don't be afraid to cut the ends of the lash. If you have smaller eyes, cut the lash to your lash line. Nothing looks faker than lashes that don't fit your eyeline.

5. Apply your lashes after your shadow and liner. The lash should be the finishing touch. Don't apply eyeshadow after, or the shadow will fall in the curve of the lash.
(Here is a shot of the same makeup, with and without lashes. Makes a difference!)

Good luck with your lashes! And someone please tell me that it's okay that I didn't do more of a show makeup look for my wedding. I'm having a hard time wrestling with the fact that I went "less is more"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment here, or head over to Weddingbee.com to add to the discussion there!